What rare combo of fire alarms have you seen in a building?

If you have seen a really strange fire alarm, combination with a strobe plate, or strange combination of fire alarms in a building, post it here.

Went ahead and merged this with a topic that we had going on about 7 months ago, but feel free to post any other unusual setups that have not been previously mentioned!

Wheelock still oem’s the AS and NS series to other vendors.

Does anyone still manufacture the ZNS?

Yup. Wheelock OEMs all of these:

Well, me and my family do a semi large amount of traveling. Well, one time we went to a Fairfield that was run down and needed some renovation (the building has those old studio ceiling tiles in several of the hallways, and it looked like the 1960s. Well, in the main lobby a 2001 system was tied to a Fire-Lite Miniscan. The buildings main pulls were BG-6s, and the alarms were 2903s with 2901-9833

At a Middle School in my Town, They have EST Integerty Fire Alarms over Simplex 2903 Light Plates. I’m not sure if the light plates are hoocked up because i’ve never been there during a fire drill.

I was in an office building in Cincinnati and they had Autocall 4050-001T pulls, then simplex 4040’s mounted in the ceiling board :? , and then new simplex Truealert remote strobes on the walls.
Very odd combo and weird installation.

Here are some systems you don’t see everyday:

Pyr-a-Larm two-stage voice system at a museum in Vancouver.

Standard Electric Time coded system with Simplex 2904’s at my university library. The building has its original panel (tied in with a 4100U) along with the original clock system.

IT guys run CAT5 cable wherever they can.

Simplex unlabeled strobe plates at a parking garage. The horns are for fire alarm use, so I guess the bell/strobes are for general signaling.

A rare Faraday horn/strobe in a parking garage with STI push stations.

1 Like

French on the pull?

He’s living in British Columbia right now; bilingual pull stations are common in Canada.

I actually saw a “French” pull station in a store at a outlet mall in Pottstown PA once. Figured it was either shipped to the fire alarm contractor by mistake or they ordered the wrong one!

I thought it was French, just asking.

required in canada i think. or large parts of canada. or something canadian anyways.

Mostly required in cities like Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal for example, and in government buildings I assume (the bilingual versions). I rarely see any around my city, I’ve seen the occasional few, but not a lot.

When I went down to southern Ontario this Christmas, I don’t think I saw a single pull station with French lettering on it, in grocery stores, restaurants, the hotel I stayed at, the school/community center I was in, nowhere. It was weird seeing pulls without it, now that I’ve been used to seeing the French lettering on everything.

I’ve noticed that the presence of French lettering on pull stations doesn’t always depend of regional requirements, since some ULC listed models (such as Mircom’s MS-400 series, Notifier’s N-MPS series, and Siemens’ MS/MSI/HMS series) are only available with bilingual lettering for the Canadian market. The only current models I can think of which offer the option of English, French or bilingual lettering would be the Simplex 2099/4099 series along with EST’s 270-series pull stations.

This reminds me of a local hotel which has a mix of SpectrAlert Advance speaker/strobes with bilingual lettering and Genesis speaker/strobes (the system is an EST3). This combination of signals seems strange, especially since they are installed on a new system (the building opened in 2012).

Longboat Key, FL I was in a condo complex; they had Edwards 270-SPO’s, old system sensor MASS, addressable silent knight panel w/ annunciator.

My city’s public indoor ice arena has Simplex 4251-20 pull stations with System Sensor MASS horn/strobes. I think I might have seen a Notifier annunciator by one of the doors as well. It was obvious that at one point in time the system was upgraded and the pulls weren’t replaced simply because they didn’t need to be or in order to save money.

The hope building in downtown was built in 1920. Well, they remodeled it in the 1970s, and there is some rare alarms. The building has a RARE dictograph system. They had one of those rare Dictograph Bell/Lights, but the inside had RARE Dictograph smoke detectors and EXTREMELY RARE Dictograph Remote lights.