World Trade Center Fire Alarm System History

[quote=RSSAlarms post_id=81389 time=1534544717 user_id=4672]

Does anybody what the alarms (notification appliances and initiating devices) are at wtc7, I already know it’s a firecom 8500 with a creepy voice evac tone
[/quote]

The NIST report claims that there is very little information available regarding WTC 7’s fire alarm system; we can therefore only speculate about the types of devices that were in service in that building.

I don’t know what kind of speakers, strobes, or smoke/heat detectors were used for this system, but there is a high probability that the pull stations and fire warden telephones were of the same model as the ones pictured below.

All photos are from past eBay auctions.

1 Like
[quote=RSSAlarms post_id=81389 time=1534544717 user_id=4672]

Does anybody what the alarms (notification appliances and initiating devices) are at wtc7, I already know it’s a firecom 8500 with a creepy voice evac tone

[/quote]

I think Building 6 had them too.

Also, doesn’t the new complex have a Firecom system (at least building one does)

(I don’t know what is going on with quotes)

(This is sourced from photos across the internet.)
1, 4, and 7 WTC and the Transportation Hub have Firecom systems.
1 WTC: Wheelock E50 and E60 speaker/strobes.
4 WTC and 7 WTC: Wheelock E70 speaker/strobes.
Transportation Hub: Wheelock E90 and E70 speaker/strobes.
Pull stations at all of these are the rebranded Sigcom SG32-series with the white stripe.

Not everything is Firecom, however.

9/11 Museum: EST system, SIGA-270’s, Genesis speaker/strobes.
Cortlandt Street 1 station: Simplex system (probably a 4100ES judging by the annunciator - see the picture of this article), probably 2099-9138’s, Wheelock RSS strobes and probably ceiling-mount E90 speakers.

1 Like

I just checked online. The fire alarm system in the new World Trade Center is a Firecom system.

Is that a Wheelock bell ringing in the background in the first video? (The same video that has the code #2 tone.)

1 Like
[quote=NewAgeServer post_id=52759 time=1371617060 user_id=11]

Fire lite or SK – Don’t even count on it . Those panels and systems were meant for small installations.

The only things that would be able to do the job is the largest systems offered by Simplex, Notifier, or Siemens.

[/quote]

Though it wasn’t available at the time, nowadays, the Gamewell FCI E3 would be ideal as it is among the most efficient in terms of number of devices per panel offered by Honeywell.

Sorry for the major bump

The Cerberus Pyrotronics SS70-15/75s IS a rebranded Wheelock ET-1070-SLM-24. I took a screenshot of one on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143439952914

This isn’t a sync version, but you get the idea now! Now the nail in the coffin has been put in Successfully!

I know I’m bumping an old topic here, but I recently noticed, in this video: https://youtu.be/VLwrQcO9w80?t=374 at around 6:15, there’s what sounds like Federal Signal slow whoop and I was just wondering if anyone knew what that was.

1 Like

That’s odd, given the WTC towers were fitted with a Cerberus Pyrotronics system (unless the radio chatter the whoops were captured on was from a different building) which had a different-sounding whoop tone. I know that Notifier supposedly uses the same whoop sound for their voice evac systems (why I don’t know).

Is this the tone in question? It’s from an older version of the MXL. (at the BoardWalk resort at Walt Disney World)
https://twitter.com/kuma19281118/status/909374010416336897

1 Like

It may very well be that one, that might be the whoop tone that both towers’ systems used.

I’m not sure if that’s the case as with every other recording (including in the video of the radio transmissions), with the exception of the ones from Ladder 17, the standard MXL-V slow whoop is audible.

1 Like

I found a portion of a video on YouTube where the person filming goes to the Observation Deck and captures what appears to be a Wheelock ET-1080-LSM-24-VFR. (Of course, there isn’t really a way to tell if it is or is not the vandal-resistant model, but I’ve seen the vandal resistant version way more than I have seen the non-resistant version on 90s/2000s systems)

In a different video, at 8 minutes and 42 seconds, this is visible, which looks like it could possibly be a Wheelock E70, although it’s very hard to tell for certain if it is even a fire alarm due to its resolution on the recording.

1 Like

That would actually probably be a Cerberus Pyrotronics SS70-15/75 (a rebranded ET-1070-SLM-24) as described above, since the panels in both towers were Cerberus Pyrotronics. The towers might have had the vandal-resistant variants too though.

Maybe, though as far as we know the towers only had SS70-15/75s. There is a chance however that WTC7 had Firecom-rebranded E70s.

Just because the panel was Cerberus Pyrotronics doesn’t mean the signals were rebranded… my high school proves this.

As for WTC 7, it had an old Firecom 8500 and most likely had Wheelock speakers (probably ET-1010’s), but no strobes.

1 Like

According to a report they were the rebranded version.

Huh, I was wondering why there were supposedly no strobe flashes anywhere in the one interior video of WTC7. One thing I did note however is that when the cameraman walks around the main desks of the building, in between the chime tones you can hear what sounds like the panel beeping nearby.

1 Like

Oh yeah they probably would have to.

This is very intresting, I have been wondering about the complete WTC fire alarm system for a while now.

Here is a video that found If you are interested.

At the 14 Second mark, You can hear the whoops from the main complex. This was shot at 3 PM on 9/11. (1 and 2 WTC were gone but 7 WTC was still there.)

1 Like

If both towers were gone by that point, how are we still able to hear what sounds like the whoop both towers’ systems would have played in an alarm state? I guess this also confirms that that is indeed the tone the towers’ systems played, & that there was no message either.