What alarm do you have at work/school

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

Another thing:
The kitchen dishwashing area has a high-temperature Chemetronics heat detector.
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
maxshaw
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: max shaw

If I remember correctly, there was one 7002T in the hallway. The addition was only three classrooms, so it wasn't a big area.
maxshaw
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: max shaw

Also, sorry for doubleposting here, but like I said a while back, the Siemens MXL-IQ system at my High School was replaced with a 4100ES. I noticed that in the auditorium though that there are still Siemens pull stations next to the entrances, even though there are T-bars right next to them! There are also two UMMT's that are still in there, I'm assuming because they're quite high up on the wall. I'd be really suprised if the Siemens pull's were tied into the 4100ES. Isn't it a code violation to have disconnected pull stations still up on the wall? I'll try to get pictures sometime soon.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

2 more things:

The restroom off the main entrance has a vertical AS.

A speaker/strobe in the gym has a broken protective cage. I reported it and it will hopefully be fixed soon!
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

I can't imagine it being pleasant if you are in that bathroom when there is a fire alarm.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:05 am I can't imagine it being pleasant if you are in that bathroom when there is a fire alarm.
All the restrooms have horn/strobes except:

The single-stall restrooms which have RSS strobes.

The restroom near the science classrooms which has E70 speaker/strobes.

YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Then I am so glad I am no where near that school when I was still a student. :D
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

I don’t know what the old system was but I think it might have been 4040s judging by a few cover plates in the hallways. (the school was built in 1962 and the library area was added in 1968. Everything was renovated in 1998 and the science rooms were added in 2012.)

YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Then I'm sure that you are definitely 100% glad that you weren't there when they had those horns because they would have been enough to loosen the earwax in your canals. :lol:
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

I have a little update from my former workplace, which I recently resigned from after accepting a new job in another community.

Our building has been under remodeling on the ground floor, and during construction, I noticed one of the electrical rooms had a Firecom CAB-50 unit (part of the Firecom Life Safety Net 2000 series, according to an electronic brochure on the Firecom webpage), which leads me to guess the panel in the lobby is a Firecom LSN-2000 voice-evacuation unit. The cabinet was closed when I passed it (I obviously didn't go into the room itself), but I would guess electronic extender components are inside.

Lastly, an old storage room that was gutted as part of the remodeling had a rebranded Wheelock E90-W-series speaker/strobe on the ceiling. New drywall has been installed, and some wall boxes that look like they will house new alarm devices are in place, which, if I had to guess, would likely include rebranded Sigcom t-bars and rebranded Wheelock E70 and/or E90 speaker/strobes.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Recently, a gray Edwards 860-series strobe was installed near the media center. The strobe indicates a sump pump issue in a crawl space. (there used to just be a bell deep in the crawl space)
It went off twice in the last few days. (Here's a video)
I told a custodian and it was addressed quickly the first time, but the next time several maintenance people were in the crawl space for a long time.

Now back to the fire alarms...
I found out that there's a second panel, in addition to the one in the main office.
This second node is located in the 2012 addition's electrical room.
How did I find out? Yesterday there was a trouble that went something like this: "Remote FACP (Room G15) PSR-1 Fuse/Battery"
I told a custodian and it was addressed in less than 40 minutes! (I'm assuming the maintenance department has spare batteries on hand)

YouTube
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

There's a middle school next to the high school, and I went there on Friday. (and yes I went into the basement. :P )
Panel: Cerberus Pyrotronics MXL (no idea where the panel is, possibly in the boiler room or main electric room? I don't think it's in the basement. Only hint is the annunciator at the main entrance)
Pull stations: MSI-20B's
Detectors: FirePrints
There are also a few System Sensor beam detectors in areas with high ceilings.
Signals: I-SM-series speaker/strobes just about everywhere (even single-stall restrooms).
There are also a few Siemens-branded Wheelock E50's.

Now for a quick question:
This middle school and the high school were both renovated around the same time (1998-1999), and as part of the same project.
The middle school is smaller than the high school.
Yet, for some reason, the middle school is 100% voice-evac, but the high school isn't.
Why could this be?

YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Maybe because the middle school is so small that they didn't want to put a horn in it because it would overpower the speakers? :?:
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:32 am Maybe because the middle school is so small that they didn't want to put a horn in it because it would overpower the speakers? :?:
It's not that small...

YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Your high school is big and even with the voice evac you hear in its area you can still hear the AS's going off.