What alarm do you have at work/school

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:35 am

If it was me, I would be kind of sad that they are getting rid of the old horns and installing electronic alarms as replacements but that is just me.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:53 am

They’re adding a whole new addition onto the back of the building, and due to new codes I believe that’s why they’ve installed speaker/strobes instead of Wheelock Exceeders. But yeah, still I will miss having remote strobes in the classrooms and seeing Exceeders and -9846s in a school for the first time. Just wish I saw the Cerberus Pyrotronics alarms from the older building rather than some in older unused hallways.
idontwannaknow / male / bored / lol
wufas

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Ok, so here is what I gathered as a freshman at my high school, I haven't seen the control panel yet. But I do know a fair bit of the notification systems in my classes.

So:
Where my science class is has Gentex Commander 3's along the hall and in the class rooms. My class has two of them.
Most of the hallways have SHG horn stobes at Code 3, Two of my classes have GXS inside the classroom, most of them do as I could see passing by.
My gym and locker room has Gentex SSPK, I don't know the tones on them yet. My cafeteria area has SpectrAlert classics, some in white and some in red.

I can say the SHG's sound much, much better than the 4903-9217's in my middle school.The 4903's were mechanical and over a decade old, some of the lights didn't work, the horns would skip terribly, they were almost deafening, the SHG's are so much quieter. Also, I forgot to mention that we have Simplex T-Bars and BG-12's with STI covers over them in every hallway.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:29 pm

This is the first time I think I have heard of a place using two different colored horns that are the same model.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
U8oL0
YouTube Username: jjinc24

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:40 am

I've been meaning to post this for a while. So, the office that I have been working at this summer is inside a three-story office building constructed in the late '90's. It seems like every floor has a slightly different setup. I will mention first that the panel is a Notifier NFS-320 or something along those lines. I will also mention that the company for which I work only takes up a part of the third floor, so the only parts of the building that I have been in are the main lobby and where my workplace is. I have been able to see some stuff through the building's windows though. With that said, the first floor has Notifer NBG-12L pull stations and wall-mounted Gentex SHG horn/strobes. I am not sure what type of pull station the second floor has, but the notification appliances are ceiling mount rectangular Simplex Horn/Strobes. I am also not sure what kind it is (speaker, electromechanical horn, electronic horn, or even a TrueAlert product), but that was quite surprising to see. And then the third floor has Notifier NBG-10L pull station and System Sensor SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes. In addition, there is a small server room with a Minimax MX-320 (rebranded Notifier NFS-320) supression panel outside of it, along with a SpectrAlert Advance remote strobe, tinted red.

Also, I know that this isn't perhaps the right topic for this, but there's this one church in my area, built in 1992, that used to have this neat Simplex 4002 system complete with this type of 4903-9101 and 2901-9838 horns. It also had 2099-9754 pulls. Well, I was there last week and it turns out that they swapped the Simplex panel out for a Notifier one (might have been a NFS-320 lol), and got rid of all of the 4903-9101/2901-9838 combo's (that was sad) and installed L Series Speaker/Strobes (which were cool to see in person for the first time). I think they must have tripled the number of NA's in the building when they did that. Interestingly enough though, they kept the 2099-9754 pull stations.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Did Simplex make electromechanical horn/strobes that were ceiling mount? I thought it was only for the 9252 which is the rectangular TrueAlert.
wufas

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:29 pm
This is the first time I think I have heard of a place using two different colored horns that are the same model.
It's weird but I think it's because one of the walls in the cafeteria is like dark blue, to create a contrast I guess.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:27 pm

All the horns at my schools were all the same color. Really the only thing that was different was the my elementary school had strobes, my middle school had flashers and my high school has a combination of both.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:27 pm
All the horns at my schools were all the same color. Really the only thing that was different was the my elementary school had strobes, my middle school had flashers and my high school has a combination of both.
The Apple Store near my house had White TrueAlerts in the store itself and the bathrooms, but the bathroom corridors had a red one.
idontwannaknow / male / bored / lol
wufas

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:39 pm

Nope, it's white SpectrAlert classics on a white wall.... Also there is a System Sensor L in the cafe too. I don't know what they were thinking either
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:42 am

Maybe that horn broke down and they were replacing it.
gpburdell

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:20 pm

My dorm just had its semesterly fire drill, so now I know what these horns are!

Panel: EST3X, probably replaced a Simplex 4100 or 4002 going by the age of the building
AVs: Simplex 4903-9220s in most of the building, some have been replaced by horizontal-strobe Wheelock MTs, all on continuous (ouch)
Pulls: EST SIGA-278
Smoke detectors: EST SIGA2-PS in hallways, round Gentex smoke+heats in apartments
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Do you know if the dorm is planning on upgrading the alarms at all?
FireAlarmGuy1234
New User
New User

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:44 am

In my first elementary school, it had EST Genesis indoor horn strobes and EST Integrity outdoor horns and in my current elementary school, it has SpectrAlert Classic indoor and outdoor horn strobes and in one part of the school there is a Wheelock.
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms
Instagram: epic_fire_alarms

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:59 am

About fifteen or so classrooms at my school were reopened this past week following a fire (another twenty or so are still under construction). All classrooms in this wing got new paint, flooring, and a new ceiling, but they weren't really remodeled beyond some basic cosmetic stuff. In any case, almost all of these classrooms previously didn't have any sort of notification device in them, but it would seem that in addition to the ceiling replacement every classroom that didn't previously have a device got a Wheelock STRC ceiling-mount strobe. The few classrooms that did have N/A's (wall-mount Wheelock NS's) still have them for the most part, but at least one classroom had the NS replaced with an HSRC.