What alarm do you have at work/school

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:32 pm

THEY ARE REPLACING THE ALARMS. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. REPEAT; THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Yep, a horn/strobe plate and a remote strobe (9846/9105 and standalone 9105) in one of the enterences were both replaced with speaker/strobes (SET-CMC-W-MNS-ALERTs), their Simplex pulls below (2099-9795s) replaced with the Siemens version (MSM-K(-WPs).

Yes, these are all the correct model numbers. This happened today.

I think they’ve finished fixing the wiring for all of them so the system flip (and a possible system test) might happen next week.
draw
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:49 pm

Boo! That sucks! I like the older horns! XD

Then again I'm biased but it does admittedly sound pretty cool.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:54 am

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:49 pm
Boo! That sucks! I like the older horns! XD
lol true. I had no problem with the old horn and since my ears got way less sensative i can walk through those and TrueAlerts on continuous.

I think the really cool part is that the alarms are really well replaced. Like you don’t see much any trace of an older alarm besides the dust outline.
Then again I'm biased but it does ladmittedly sound pretty cool.
True. They just replaced most all of the pull stations on the second floor with Siemens versions, and it looks really weird seeing a -9846/9105 above an MSM-K.

I’m really hoping they don’t go off for something minimal like a severe thunderstorm. I’ve been wondering if they’re gonna swap the ZHs too since thats a much easier task. Or not, IDK.
draw
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Do you know when the first fire drill with the new system will be?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:02 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:31 pm
Do you know when the first fire drill with the new system will be?
no idea. I’m assuming they will test the system after it’s finished but still i don’t know

and since they have ‘ALERT’ instead of ‘FIRE’ possibly any drill would use them
draw
El Chupacabra
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:28 pm

The administration building at my university is undergoing a system upgrade. The current setup consists of an older Simplex panel (4207, 4208 or 2001) with a 4300-series annunciator. Pull stations are primarily Simplex 4251-20s along with a few 4251-30s and Edwards 270-SPOBs. Signals are mainly Simplex 4051s along with a handful of 12901-9801s and a bunch of other odds and ends (including Simplex 2901-9818s, EST 757-1A-Ts, a Mircom Select-A-Horn and a Wheelock MT). Smoke detectors are a mix of older Fenwal models and conventional TrueAlarms.

The new system features TrueAlert horn/strobes (wall-mount and ceiling-mount) and remote horns. The pull stations haven’t been installed yet, but they will either be bilingual 4099-9001s or 4099-9004s. The smoke detectors are addressable TrueAlarms (which still have their dust covers). The new panel will certainly be a 4100ES.

I'm sad to see this system being replaced as I loved its variety of older devices. However, I'm not surprised by the upgrade as this building features one of the oldest systems on campus.

Old 4251-20 and new Simplex backbox:

Old 12901-9801 horn and new TrueAlert:
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:32 pm

Bye bye 9838s and 4051s. You all had a very long and fruitful life. :( :cry: :|
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:44 pm

They replaced all the Simplex alarms in the hallway that links the two buildings with the wall-mounted speaker/strobes not only that but also in the computer lab thats part of the hall. Pulls and smokes are installed and the red dust covers are removed from the smokes that replaced TrueAlarms, not new ones.

Everything else, just have to install the new pulls/smokes, replace a few wall-mounted alarms with speaker/strobes, and then everything will be wiped.

This is going a lot faster than I thought, lol. It looks weird not seeing the vertical red strobe plates and instead a white speaker with dust coating around where the strobe was.
draw
CaliRailfan
YouTube Username: CaliRailfan

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 pm

I've changed schools quite a bit, and I can say, I've seen three interesting systems across two (technically 3) interesting campuses.
The first system is my very first elementary school, Fremont Elementary (Long Beach, CA). I was too young to ask to see the panel, unfortunately... Nevertheless, it was my favorite system, and I may be biased towards it because it was the one where I experienced my first fire drills. Anyways, now on to the system-
10" vibrating bells were installed throughout the campus as school bells, and served another purpose as fire alarm bells (rang code 3 in an alarm) In addition to the multi-purpose bells, there was a single Edwards Adaptahorn on the outside of the the school that was on the same circuit as the bells. I remember there being Simplex 4904-9137's in the restrooms, too. In the portables there were SpectrAlert Classics, and if I remember correctly (I probably don't), approximately 120 flashes per minute. (I remember because they did code 3, not synced to the bells, and after every horn pulse there was a flash, and one extra during the pause.) To this day, I dread the sound of SpectrAlerts. They destroy young ears! :(

That was one school, one to go! I won't say the name of it for privacy reasons, but I'll describe the systems! Silent Knight FACP and Voice Evac Panel for the north campus (literally only 8 rooms including 5 tiny classrooms, and only 2 of the classrooms actually use voice evac), but I don't know the panel for the south campus. Both campuses are on the same property, both are equally small, and both have completely different alarm systems.

North Campus:
Wheelock Exceder ceiling mount h/s in one classroom, wall mount in office and 2 other classrooms. I never took the time to find the detectors' model numbers (and I couldn't if I tried), but they're silent knight.

In the other part of the north campus, where the Voice panel is, there are Wheelock ET70 (or something like that) speaker strobes.

No pull stations are in the north campus.

South Campus:

Wheelock V7001's in the hallways and gymnasium, a couple of Wheelock AS horn strobes scattered about.

Faraday "Chevron" pulls throughout the building.
I have yet to be involved in a fire drill in this building.

So those are my schools' fire alarms!
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:26 am

CaliRailfan wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 pm
I've changed schools quite a bit, and I can say, I've seen three interesting systems across two (technically 3) interesting campuses.
The first system is my very first elementary school, Fremont Elementary (Long Beach, CA). I was too young to ask to see the panel, unfortunately... Nevertheless, it was my favorite system, and I may be biased towards it because it was the one where I experienced my first fire drills. Anyways, now on to the system-
10" vibrating bells were installed throughout the campus as school bells, and served another purpose as fire alarm bells (rang code 3 in an alarm) In addition to the multi-purpose bells, there was a single Edwards Adaptahorn on the outside of the the school that was on the same circuit as the bells. I remember there being Simplex 4904-9137's in the restrooms, too. In the portables there were SpectrAlert Classics, and if I remember correctly (I probably don't), approximately 120 flashes per minute. (I remember because they did code 3, not synced to the bells, and after every horn pulse there was a flash, and one extra during the pause.) To this day, I dread the sound of SpectrAlerts. They destroy young ears! :(

That was one school, one to go! I won't say the name of it for privacy reasons, but I'll describe the systems! Silent Knight FACP and Voice Evac Panel for the north campus (literally only 8 rooms including 5 tiny classrooms, and only 2 of the classrooms actually use voice evac), but I don't know the panel for the south campus. Both campuses are on the same property, both are equally small, and both have completely different alarm systems.

North Campus:
Wheelock Exceder ceiling mount h/s in one classroom, wall mount in office and 2 other classrooms. I never took the time to find the detectors' model numbers (and I couldn't if I tried), but they're silent knight.

In the other part of the north campus, where the Voice panel is, there are Wheelock ET70 (or something like that) speaker strobes.

No pull stations are in the north campus.

South Campus:

Wheelock V7001's in the hallways and gymnasium, a couple of Wheelock AS horn strobes scattered about.

Faraday "Chevron" pulls throughout the building.
I have yet to be involved in a fire drill in this building.

So those are my schools' fire alarms!
Do you know if the 10" vibrating bells at Fremont were Edwards devices? I don't believe I've ever seen a system in person before with multi-purpose bells/horns, so that's pretty cool.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:32 pm

They removed a few TrueAlert horn/strobes on one side of the school, and the only thing that is left are those small vertical covers. The simplex pulls installed underneath them are Siemens now.
draw
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:59 pm

They’re starting to take out the old alarms and pull stations, mostly in places where there are not many speaker/strobes around (with the exception of a few) If anyone cares, the 9846s and Simplex 2099 T-bars have a large backbox cover with a few exposed, with dust outlining where the strobe part of the 9105 was. TrueAlerts just get a mini-cover. Not sure what Exceeders will get because none have been removed.

Also a lot of smoke detectors are getting replaced.
draw
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Instagram: randomperson_firealarms

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:50 pm

Today...
Remember: Fire alarms are serious and should not be ignored.
Instagram - YouTube
Want to say hello? everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:38 pm

Forgot if you’ve ever said so but is it just code-3 tone w/ no messages?
draw
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Instagram: randomperson_firealarms

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:18 am

idontwannaknow wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:38 pm
Forgot if you’ve ever said so but is it just code-3 tone w/ no messages?
Correct!
Remember: Fire alarms are serious and should not be ignored.
Instagram - YouTube
Want to say hello? everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com