What alarm do you have at work/school

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

On the new extension of my school, on both of the new exits (opposite sides of the building) outside there are SpectrAlert advance weatherproof horn/strobes. I just noticed this today, there are now only 3 of them on my school.
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Were they installed recently or a part of the former installation?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:53 pm Were they installed recently or a part of the former installation?
Installed recently on the new addition. They’re sprinkler alarms, the actual ones inside are the siemens speaker/strobes that I talked about earlier.
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

So do they have any lettering on them or are they just blank?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 am So do they have any lettering on them or are they just blank?
They have “FIRE” lettering as apposed to the interior and enclosed outdoor spaces where the NAs have “ALERT” lettering.

In other words, the advances are sprinkler alarms.
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Wouldn't it make sense for them to say something else other than FIRE on them? They aren't a part of the fire alarm system to evacuate the building, they are just alarms in case something happens with the sprinklers.
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

UPDATE - Looks Spruce Creek Elementary will be getting a new Notifier NFS-320 fire alarm system this summer! Building 13 has an NFS-320 system in it, tied into the current panel (which if I'm not mistaken is probably a late 1980s Autocall panel, or an NFS-3030, replacing a Faraday panel original to the school).
Existing pulls are a mix of FCI MS-2s and at least one or more BG-12s. Not sure about smokes/heats, probably older Pyrotector/Faraday and Autocall models.
Existing signals are...
  • Inside signals were older Faraday 5640 horns on older light plates, like what JTD321 has, only flipped upside down
  • Outside signals were what appeared to be (Faraday rebranded???) Simplex 2901-9806 horns, some on 2903 light plates
  • Some 5640 horns were removed and replaced with Wheelock MT series,, Gentex Commander 2, one Gentex GOS , and one Wheelock AS (set to code-3) horn/strobes on the existing light plates (which were disconnected, of course)
  • There is one 2903+2901-9806 in a restroom over in building 9
  • There are a couple of Wheelock MT-WMs and one Gentex GOS outside (some on 2903 light plates)
  • Building 12 has Federal Signal 450D+VALS horn/strobes, and Federal Signal VALS strobes in the restrooms. If I remember correctly, each classroom here had a 450D+VALS and an MS-2
  • The portables have Gentex Commander 2 horn/strobes, and an ESL heat sensor in each
Building 13 on the other hand has your typically Volusia County Schools Notifier setup with Commander 3 Horn/strobes, horns, and strobes, with BG-12LXs and FSP smokes. And if you're wondering, the whole system did continuous when I was there.

Basically these drawings, particularly the "demolition" ones should reflect on the current system as I explained here.
http://myvolusiaschools.org/facilities- ... _Plans.pdf
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

You think you can get one of the old light plates or a picture of that light plate? Just for reference, NOBODY has any clue what the hell it is, so I named it a 5415.
simplexspectralert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

my school has the new l series speaker strobes set into max volume and set to 180 candela
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

simplexspectralert wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:35 pm my school has the new l series speaker strobes set into max volume and set to 180 candela
180 candela? I doubt that they put those in your school (besides maybe the gym if they were ceiling mount), but they could have been on a high setting. Full volume speakers seem rough and from what i can read on the sheet... LOUD
blm // he/him
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Well, they're almost done with construction on Phase 1 of the cafeteria renovation at my college's Student Union. Phase 1 involved demolition of an existing enclosed conference room and redoing part of the seated area in favor of a new Enrollment Office. They removed the Faraday 6020 horn and Simplex 2903-9001 light plate and the Faraday F1GT pull and ADA-extender adapter (they are now in my fire alarm collection!) and installed System Sensor P2RL horn/strobes. I knew it was only a matter of time before the L-series showed up at my college, given how we mostly use Notifier there nowadays (and a bit of Fire-Lite as well). They also installed Notifier FSP-851 smoke detectors (on the newer conical base) and NBG-12LX pulls that blink red, as they left the existing Notifier AFP-200 panel setup as-is. Phase 2 is supposed to start near the end of this May, and will have more L-series horn/strobes installed in the rest of the cafeteria, along with presumably more new pull stations and smoke detectors.
I was pretty surprised when I got my hands on that Simplex 2903 alarm (which replaced a Standard horn/light some time in the 80s) that the horn was a Faraday-branded 6020. I figured it was branded as a Simplex 2901-9833 due to being used with a Simplex 2903-9001 light plate; plus there used to be a 2901-9833 horn in the Fine Arts building on a 4050-80 light plate.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

There was a mixed up system on YouTube at one point (though the channel seems to have been deleted) that had a bunch of Faraday horns but on Simplex plates so there is a precedence for it.
simplexspectralert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

dads work has a truealert speaker strobe set to 110 candela and max volume
simplexspectralert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

voice evac says
ladies and gentlemen
may i have your attention please
there has been a fire emergency reported in the building
please wait until further instruction until the verification of the fire