Name That Fire Alarm! (2.0)

This device is located in some sensitive areas around my workplace - mail room, mother’s room (for breastfeeding) and all restrooms. But it’s not located in other public areas (where there are normal smoke alarms). It’s weird that it’s only in sensitive areas.

It looks like a hybrid smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, and an infrared sensor.

There are two lights in the small black circles within the smaller circles - one blinks red, the other blinks blue.

The black area looks like an infrared sensor or a camera. Anyone know a model number or manufacturer for this type? It would be newer - this building was renovated within the last 10 years.

I’m looking to identify this device to see if it has a camera in it as well. Because that’s not OK if they’re monitoring the bathrooms, usually illegal.

1 Like
[quote=bobsauce321 post_id=84544 time=1563573891 user_id=5319]

This device is located in some sensitive areas around my workplace - mail room, mother’s room (for breastfeeding) and all restrooms. But it’s not located in other public areas (where there are normal smoke alarms). It’s weird that it’s only in sensitive areas.

It looks like a hybrid smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, and an infrared sensor.

There are two lights in the small black circles within the smaller circles - one blinks red, the other blinks blue.

The black area looks like an infrared sensor or a camera. Anyone know a model number or manufacturer for this type? It would be newer - this building was renovated within the last 10 years.

I’m looking to identify this device to see if it has a camera in it as well. Because that’s not OK if they’re monitoring the bathrooms, usually illegal.

[/quote]

That’s an occupancy sensor. It turns off the lights if no motion is detected for a set time.

It’s a rebranded RoLP LX LED sounder/beacon, but to simplify things its a horn/strobe. Apparently it is VERY loud. Rolp LX Wall Sounder Beacon – LGM Products

There are remote strobe versions too so I’m not sure why they’d use this.

That actually does look like an alarm that you would end up seeing if you were ever in the UK since those sort of sounders are the alarms that they utilize in their fire code.

1 Like

From some guy’s 360º camera in a store in Florida, name that fire alarm!

Wheelock ZNS strobe

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=84619 time=1564168236 user_id=18]

Wheelock ZNS strobe

[/quote]

yea but like… whats up with the fire lettering. all the strobes in the store are like that

I’m guessing the lettering is like that because its a ceiling-mount version.

From the Oakbrook Towers in Summerville, SC, Name those fire alarms!

Where are the pictures of them though? I don’t think they came through.

What alarm is this? I will reveal what the device is after a few guesses.

1 Like
[quote="Phire Drill23" post_id=85943 time=1579216387 user_id=5816]

What alarm is this? I will reveal what the device is after a few guesses.

[/quote]

Gentex Commander 1 horn/strobe.

Yes that was a Gentex Commander 1.

Is there any way you can tell which series it is by just looking at it? I know that there are Commanders 1 through 3 and I think 4 is a ceiling mount version.

(Deleted Post)

Yes you can. The most noticeable difference is the size of the grille for the horn/buzzer. Another thing is where the fire lettering is. If you put the commander 1 next to a commander 2 or 3 you will find that the commander 1 has a smaller grille

So that is figuring out whether it is a Commander 1 or 2. How do you figure out whether it’s a Commander 2 or 3?

I think you have to look at the candela window. If it doesn’t show a number, it should be a commander 2. If you see a number in the candela window it should be a commander 3.

That is really easy to remember! Thanks.