What alarm do you have at work/school

They did an upgrade to the fire alarm system in the Student Union building at my college! Here’s the thread.

http://forums.thefirepanel.com/viewtopic.php?p=7543#7543

At my ES: we had a System-3 panel, a Wheelock 7002T in the cafeteria, projector horns w/strobe out in the courtyard. Not sure what type they had in the classrooms.The new building at my ES has a U-HNH outside along with a bell (they are apart from each other). MS: not sure about the panel, but the alarms were NSs, TWO Wheelock 7002T’s in the cafeteria, and that was the system for my MS. HS (my current school): 2901-9806’s, along with NS’s in the new building.
At my doctor’s office they have T-bars, with the type of horn that has the vent-style grille, and the “cheese-wedge” style strobe. You know, the “triangular” shaped one, not the pyramid shaped one.

“vent-style grille”… That might be a 4050 or a 2901-9838. The “cheese wedge” strobe you mentioned might be this…

Which is a 2903 retrofit plate that has a light version and a strobe version.

1 Like

yeah, that’s the exact kind at my doctor’s office!
they’re in the whole clinic.

I guess being a teacher runs in the family. I just remembered my aunt does Special Needs at her school.

Our office has a Simplex 4020 with TrueAlarm smokes, a room full of boxes of all kinds of control panels, TrueAlert horn/strobes and an ADT security system. But I work for Simplex so it should not be a surprise. And of course we have a sprinkler system too.

Patrick

As for my work, I work at UAlbany, but my building (Campus Center) has voice evac type 1

Dude, 4020s are almost “extinct!” If possible, can you post a picture of it? I haven’t even seen one!

They’re not extinct, they’re just discontinued. :wink:

As for my aunt’s school…

1. 2903-9806s as the most common alarm (the basement, first and second floor)

2. U-MMTs (older ones) installed in the itinerant rooms

3. A few NS’s outside and around the courtyard.

4. The third floor rather than having 9806’s, have 9219s

5. EST Genesis’s in the Special Needs classrooms (my aunt has one in her room. It was red.)

They just did another fire alarm upgrade at my college; they replaced all the old Standard horn/lights in the Technology building with the new SpaceAge Electronics horn/strobes! I also finally heard what one of the old fire alarms sound like; I was outside the Science building when it happened. They still have the old Standard horn/lights, and it sounded almost like a scratchy-sounding U-HNH. I bet it was really loud inside the building.

Well a 4020 looks exactly like a 4100 type panel. I think their might have been an earlier version without Priority 2 alarm and an alarm silence LED, but the one in our office is a single bay unit, and the operator interface is in the 4100 style with the service door and everything. If I can manage to I can post a picture. I think their might be one in my yahoo groups folder if you are a member.

Patrick

OK, Here are my schools’ alarm systems. (edited and simplified)

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

1. Edwards 892-1Bs

2. Edwards 270-SPO’s

3. One Edwards Integrity Horn-only unit (code-3).

4. One EST Genesis (code-3 ,no “FIRE” mark) that replaced an 892 once there.

5. EST Genesis’s (code-3, “FIRE” mark) and one SIGA278 in a kindergarten wing completed in 2003

6. EDIT: Fire Alarm Bell and a Wheelock WM strobe.

In my middle school, there was new construction completed in 2007.

MIDDLE SCHOOL BEFORE CONSTRUCTION

1. Edwards 892-2Bs

2. ESL classic dual-actions (ESL 5060 pulls)

3. One ESL lift and pull T-Bar on the side of the building.

4. Edwards Integrity Horn/Strobe (code-3) by the library doors.

5. Two EST Genesis’s (“FIRE” Marking, one with and one without trim plate, code-3, horn and strobe synchronized), and one SIGA278 in a hall with JUST an elevator in it.

6. One SIGA278 near one stairwell doorway (upstairs).

7. Edwards piezo horn/strobes (892-7A-HSR, I think) each in 6 of the classrooms (3 on one side, 3 on the other).

8. System Sensor “Classic” SpectrAlert and Fire-Lite BG-12 in a science room.

9. Wheelock 7002T outside. (Probably underpowered due to the fact it sounded weird and placed outdoors)

MIDDLE SCHOOL AFTER CONSTRUCTION

1. System Sensor SpectrAlert Advances installed: 2 Outside (protective covers) replacing the 7002T, front of the building, new pathway hall (replacing the hall that had JUST an elevator in it), 5 new classrooms, and the new conference room. They sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67QY_-N_CLM

2. SIGA278 removed from the new hall.

3. One EST Genesis (the one with the trim plate) still standing.

4. Four Notifier NBG-12LXs replacing the ESL classic pulls in the front of the building. (This does not mean that ALL ESL Pulls were replaced, only from the front of the building).

5. The rest of the school’s alarms are still standing.

HIGH SCHOOL (I’m not there yet for learning but I’ve been there for other events. :smiley: )

1. Wheelock 7002Ts

2. Fire-Lite BG-10s

This is the same alarm system in Ben Schumin’s ES.

BREAKING NEWS My MS had an unexpected surprise fire drill probably by a smoke detector or those Notifier Pulls. I got to hear the SpectrAlert Advances for the first time. They were screamers. I knew I could get an opportunity to hear them go off. I wrote this the day after this happened which was 9/6/2007.

We have Wheelock AESs in the school and some NHs with simplex T-bar pullstations (2099?).

I never heard of AESs before! What are they?

Here’s what they sound like at my school http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hrUd5H-Ff4 they are multitone appliances too, they have 3 tones, horn, warble, and siren.

I see 4020s everywhere. I probably see them more than I see any other panel. on almost a daily basis.

My Simplex office has a 4020 from what I’m told, however, I seem to remember something about a 4010. The original system was an MXL-IQ before Simplex bought the building. Now the MXL-IQ is hung up on our “wall of panels” for training, along with a 4100U, a 2120, 4100 classic, 4005, 4010, a VESDA system, and a Powerpath unit.

our office doesn’t have any smoke or heat detectors, just pull stations. there might be duct detectors, but I don’t think they have those either. so just pull stations and sprinkler flow switches.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I AM STOOOOOOOPID!

I thought you meant an old 4020 vibratory horn!!!
(That seemed logical to me since I never heard of a 4020 panel and well, what comes before a Simplex 4030?)

I finally found out what panel my school has!!! It is a Faraday MPC-2000. I was in the office and snuck down the hall where it was and took a peak.
Here is the information about the system:
Panel: Faraday MPC-2000
Alarms: U-HNH H/S(Lettering on strobe in main building) U-HNH Strobe Onlys, New Faraday U-HNH H/Ss in North Building.
Pull Stations: Faraday T-bar
Smokes: Unknown
Coding: Code 3

Here is some information on the MPC-2000

My college’s Field House building has an MPC-2000 panel as well. It’s huge! It’s also addressable but has the regular Faraday logo so it’s obviously a discontinued product. It replaces a Simplex 4208 panel that used to be there, and there’s also an RDC-700 annuciator near the front entrance, installed over the old Simplex annuciator. All the NAs are SpaceAge Electronics horn/strobes, and the pulls are Simplex 4251-20 T-bars, held over from the old system. Half of them have Stopper IIs over them. There are some heat detectors, but no smokes.

My school is now mostly going with Faraday alarms because when it was originally built (the first five buildings were started in 1969 and completed in 1972), they used Standard Electric Time Company fire alarms. Now that Faraday bought out Standard, this makes sense. I don’t know why the other five buildings (from 1978) originally went with Simplex systems. Maybe it was because Standard had gone out of business by then, or Faraday did not have any complete systems available in 1978? I know this because usually older Simplex fire alarm systems are replaced with newer Simplex systems, such as the 4100U. There’s a PDF file I found online for a public school system that has all Simplex fire alarms, including older ones, but most of them were replaced with new 4100U systems.
http://www.harrison.k12.co.us/technology/support/school_fire_alarm_systems_060904.pdf