World Trade Center Fire Alarm System History

7 WTC opened in 1987, but was built on top of a Con Edison electrical substation that had been present since 1967.
The Acme pull may have come from the ConEd substation.

Perhaps, though Iā€™m not sure why they would have used an older device from the previous building in the new one.

Probably to save money

The ConEd substation was left intact and 7 WTC was built on top of it. They were two separate buildings.

1 Like

Hereā€™s yet another video I found of 1WTCā€™s LSN-2000 system going off in chime mode: https://youtu.be/SYpqaNKxa3I

Thatā€™s not part of the 1WTC tower, itā€™s the WTC transportation hub/retail area. Itā€™s a separate system, hence the different tone.

Do you know if there is any videos on 1WTCā€™s system going off?

Yes, it was linked in a previous post: World Trade Center Fire Alarm System History - #111 by hilo2-est3-fire

What brand of system does the transportation hub/retail area use?

I think it uses Firecom as well

Also, hereā€™s some news on Firecomā€¦ they were recently acquired by a company called Pavion, which also owns a Siemens distributor in New Jersey (DavEd Fire Systems), and a Notifier distributor that serves much of the East Coast (AFA).

Itā€™ll be interesting to see what happens, although my unfortunate suspicion is that Firecom is going to get ā€œconsolidatedā€ into oblivion. I wonder what the migration options will be in this caseā€¦

It could also be possible that Firecom is kept and gets a larger sales network - they do have some extremely rare non-NYC installations, like this one at an arena in Los Angeles: Firecom Projects & Work - Crypto.com Arena | Firecom

1 Like

Thatā€™s sadly what often happens during takeovers, mergers, & acquisitions, but hopefully Pavion will have enough respect for the Firecom name to keep it around (especially if the latter is in itself respected & trusted in the industry).

Iā€™ve stayed at a hotel in Miami and the hotel had a Firecom system.

Was it Diplomat Hotel Florida?

Because Firecom Mentions it on their website.

Another note, I realized that the Brookfield Place, (The buildings west of WTC) are also managed by Firecom. Its cool that one company manages WTC and the Surrounding area.

I donā€™t think Firecom is going anywhere. They say that they are one of only five companies in the United States to manufacture their own fire life safety systems for high rise buildings. The other 4 are Simplex, Honeywell, U.T.C. (Have no idea who that is) and Siemens. If Firecom gets consolidated into oblivion, It will be a win for these companies since there is less competition.

But who knows.

U.t.c Stands for united technologies

1 Like

Yes, it was the diplomat hotel.

I believe UTC owns EST

UTC sold off their entire building safety division to Carrier shortly before UTC merged with Raytheon.

In the interest of keeping things on topic, I think discussion about Firecom is fine (since it is very closely tied with the current fire alarm systems at the WTC) but I think we should make sure we arenā€™t digressing too much from the topic.

1 Like

Carrier global actually owns est now