World Trade Center Fire Alarm System History

Most interesting…good look at a CP-rebranded Century in good condition too.

2 Likes

I’d also like to see a ny-striped century in good condition too

1 Like

I found this picture on a Facebook group dedicated to the memories of the old World Trade Center

1 Like

Here’s another video: https://youtu.be/5dJK6QFbAa8

It has voice evac now (watch the video and at around the 13 second mark, you will hear the voice)

1 Like

I believe that’s one of the building staff talking over the system’s speakers using the microphone at the panel: pretty sure that like the original complex the current 1 WTC has no automated message(s).

1 Like

I think most NYC buildings do that: TikTok - Make Your Day

This system just plays a chime until someone at the panel talks into the mic.

you need FDNY’s approval for automated messages and they dont really need to have them anyways because most NYC highrise buildings have a Fire Life Safety Director on duty at all times of the day and can just use the mic to page the needed announcements

I think i might have found the notification devices after alot of digging around

You can see a speaker on the top left in the 1st video by the exit sign which looks to be an
Federal Signal SPL-70V judgeing by the sticker location on the side and shape of speaker as shown
in a photo bellow (i have also found other older firecom installs with the same type of speakers)

In the second video you can also see what looks to be a E70 (most likely rebranded, if so then a FE70)
on the right side wall, most likely newer renovated area’s with strobes as mentioned by nist

In the third video might be possible one of those mounted on the desk might be the 8500?

1 Like

Good finds!

Not sure about the Federal Signal speaker given 7 WTC’s system was Firecom, but if that second alarm is an E70 it would make sense since Firecom has been known to rebrand Wheelock devices (or at least the E70).

It wouldn’t surprise me if 7 WTC had a desk-mounted panel, especially given the rows of control consoles visible in that one video (along with what sounds like the panel beeping nearby).

I think Firecom did use other brands for speakers before they rebranded Wheelocks because i found a few examples of a old Firecom system with other brand speakers like Atlas sound and Federal Signal

Heres a old install with Atlas sound speakers

This is another old firecom install but uses federal signal speakers instead
(you can find it on the lower levels of the 3d tour where its not been renovated near the bathrooms)

They also use EST-270-SPO and Rebranded Firecom Mirtone Pulls on old installs before

1 Like

That ny-stripped 270-SPO looks a lot like my ny-stripped century
Pictured here:

It’s probably the same adaptor plate I’d imagine. Who knows who made them though.

Well the one I received had a 207a-SPO installed on it

Wondering what detectors did they used for the WTC1 and WTC2. We know its a Siemens Cerberus Pyrotronics MXL-V system, so probably Cerberus Pyrotronics ILI-1 and FP-11s were used… Based from what I have seen the pictures posted on this topic.

1 Like

I’m not sure if any of the original detectors were replaced when the entire system was upgraded but according to the first post in this topic the initial detectors were flush-mount versions of the Cerberus Pyrotronics DI-2 (whether there’s a specific model number for this supposed variant I don’t know).

I’m Talking about the two tall buildings, with the wall of panels in the lobby at the front desk…

I know: that’s what I’m talking about too: scroll all the way up to the top & have a look at some of the photos if you don’t believe me.

But from I see from the photos, they did use the Cerberus Pyrotronics rebranded Wheelock LSM speaker strobes, that I know.

Yes: that’s been known for quite some time as well.

Was Scrolling in the NIST Docs, and I found an image of the Operation Control Center.

2 Likes