My School Caught Fire Today

Today at 10:43 AM, a light fixture in one of the classrooms had caught fire. At 10:45, The fire alarm was activated. The system consists of Wheelock NS, a Gentex GOS, and 7002-Ts. (Full System Linked Here) When we were walking outside the building, we heard sirens in the distance. A few minutes later, The Fire Department Showed up. When the FD was investigating the fire, it started hailing on us. Everyone ran to the solar panels. Once the fire was out, the all clear was given and we went inside DRENCHED with water. Thankfully, no one was reported hurt. The school is still operational and I’m in my fourth period class writing this.

Sounds like a textbook structure fire to me in terms of the way everything went: building caught fire, fire alarm sounded, everyone evacuated safely, fire department showed up & extinguished the fire, & everyone was allowed to go back in some minutes later. So nice to hear that everything went as it should have, glad everyone’s alright & the school’s mostly still intact. Incidents like this one prove what having proper fire protection systems & emergency procedures in place can do.

Any idea if the alarm system was actuated manually or automatically?

My Best Guess was manually. There was a Pull Station outside the classroom in the hallway. There are only True-Alarm Smokes in the hallways, and the sprinklers shouldn’t have activated that fast.

I can ask one of the monitors or the Dean Of Students and reply to what I received.

The main panel most likely has a log of everything that’s happened since it was first powered up: that should have record of what device was activated & which type it was.

Depends on how close the fire was to the sprinklers - did you see if the area the fire was in was also drenched? I guess that might be a moot point considering the FD extinguished the fire, but if the light fixture was either in the ceiling or hanging off of it it may have tripped a sprinkler. Most of the time, a QR sprinkler can activate within seconds of an incipient fire especially if it’s close to the ceiling (something on the order of three seconds from personal experience).

I’d advise against going to the panel and looking through the history log yourself - you don’t want to give off the impression that you’re messing with the system. Ask an admin if they know, and if they don’t, don’t push the issue.

Ah yes, if the school has a sprinkler system that may have helped control or even put out the fire too.

By that I meant they’d ask the school staff if they could have them or a technician go through the log to find out what device was activated.

I was about to say that I was against that as well. I don’t have access to the panel, and I don’t want to get in trouble.

Especially after a real fire. Keep the data of the panel intact , not getting’em contaminated or modified unintentionally. Forensics are needed to be done to the panel sometimes in order to decide who is responsible to the fire outbreak. You will certainly not be willing to leave any suspicious trace indicating that you have tampered the devices, which could possibly get you charged as guilty

Oh yeah btw today the same school got a Gas Leak and we had to evacuate again. I have that article linked here if you want to check it out.